Tsinghua Shenzhen International Graduate School (TsinghuaSIGS) was launched in March 2019. As Tsinghua University’s only branch campus, Tsinghua SIGS is a strategic integration of the former Tsinghua Graduate School at Shenzhen (GSST) and the Tsinghua-BerkeleyShenzhen Institute (TBSI).
TsinghuaSIGS aims to solve the major regional and global problems in science and technology and social development through international collaborations, and to nurture the next generation of global leaders. Tsinghua SIGS is committed to promoting economic and social development in Shenzhen, the Guangdong-HongKong-Macau Greater Bay Area, and beyond.
By 2025, Tsinghua SIGS will:
- Increase full-time graduate student enrollment to 5000.
- Develop a diverse student body with at least 30% of students coming from outside of mainland China.
- Recruit 250 tenure-track Assistant/Associate Professors or tenured Associate/Full Professors to work on a full-time basis in Shenzhen.
- Create a globalized learning environment by ensuring 1/3 international faculty members.
Shenzhen is the center of the “Greater Bay Area”. With its commitment to China’s Belt and Road initiative, Shenzhen aims to become the most vibrant city in the Asia-Pacific region. Shenzhen has rapidly become a global leader in economic development, technological progress, and industry innovation, hosting, for example, the headquarters of Huawei, Tencent, Vanke and other leading enterprises.
The first phase of campus construction for Tsinghua SIGS is already underway: a 23,000㎡ area that will house 156,000㎡ of building space, including state-of-the-art research facilities, classrooms, and industry collaboration centers. Construction will be completed in 2021.
Plan to set up 7 Interdisciplinary Areas
1. Energy and Materials
2. Information Science and Technology
3. Biopharmaceutical and Health Engineering
4. Marine Science and Technology
5. Future Human Habitats
6. Environment and Ecology
7. Innovation Management
Professor/Associate Professor/Assistant Professor
Salary and Fringe Benefits
The salary package will be globally competitive, commensurate with qualifications and accomplishments. A comprehensive fringe benefit package will also be offered, including housing subsidies and medical care for eligible appointees.
Tsinghua SIGS will provide a highly supportive research and teaching environment, attractive and ample research funding, strong teaching support staff and state-of-the-art facilities.
1. Competitive Packages
Tsinghua SIGS will offer an annual salary of 9 months, based on the academic year, of between RMB 450,000 – 1,200,000 or above (pre-tax, depending on entry level and research areas). Faculty will be allowed to earn additional income in vacation up to 1/3 of their salary.
2. Research Start-up Package
RMB 1,000,000-5,000,000, (depending on entry level and research areas). The extraordinary talents may apply for higher amounts based on requirements.
3. Government Talents’ Plan Allowance
Tsinghua SIGS will offer assistance to faculty applying for national and local talents plan. For successful applicants these plans may provide personal living allowances ranging from RMB 1,600,000 – 6,000,000, in addition to research start-up packages.
4. Relocation Reimbursement
Tsinghua SIGS will provide relocation reimbursement for qualified faculty ranging from RMB 300,000 – 400,000.
5. Housing Policy
Tsinghua SIGS will provide access to public rental housing or a housing subsidy for faculty.
6. Student and Postdoctoral Recruitment
Tsinghua SIGS will finance 1 Ph.D. student and provide competitive salary package for 1 post-doctoral researcher for each faculty member every year normally.
Promising young talents or well-established senior researchers are all welcome to apply. The following qualifications and credentials will be considered:
- A doctoral or equivalent degree in relevant academic area is required.
- Overseas study and work experience is required.
- Research experience across various fields and institutions and strong teaching performance are preferred.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate strong communication, teaching and leadership skills in English as well as the ability to actively contribute to the rapidly growing research efforts at Tsinghua SIGS.
- A strong commitment to teaching and supervising postgraduate students is essential. Teaching responsibilities will include participation in and development of graduate courses and strong engagement with Tsinghua SIGS’s core curriculum. Supervision of PhD and MSc students and academic mentoring of trainees at all levels is also expected.
To apply, please send the following application documents (in English) email@example.com (subject line: Application for Faculty Position at Tsinghua SIGS)：
a)Curriculum Vitae, including a publication list
b)Application Form (Statement of Research:< 2 pages; Statement of Teaching: <1 page; Faculty Position Application Form could be found in the linked document of the site: http://www.tbsi.edu.cn/en/index.php?s=/cms/545.html)
c)PDF copies of 3 to 5 representative publications
d)Arrange 3-5 reference letters sent from renowned experts in related fields (the letters must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org from the recommenders, as opposed to be forwarded from the applicant)
Screening of candidates will start immediately and will continue until the positions are filled. All documents will be treated confidentially. Tsinghua SIGS thanks all applicants, but advises that only candidates shortlisted for interviews will be notified of the application result.